Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Signs

Let me begin by introducing myself. My name is Michelle Androwick, and I'll be joining the others in their journey to Haiti in a mere 6 days. I am a teacher at Twin Valley Middle School, a job that I thank God for every day. Not many people can say that they truly love what they do; I am lucky enough to be one of those fortunate people.

Some people ask, "Why Haiti? Why now?" I find myself responding with a phrase I used to loathe hearing from my parents as a child - "Because I said so." I don't feel like I need to defend my decision to travel to Haiti to help. I would, however, like to share my story. In this past year, I have experienced losing multiple loved ones. Most recently, a very dear friend of mine passed away. Although he spent his last 6 months battling ALS (otherwise known as Lou Gehrig's disease), he showed me the incredible power of staying positive. My friend was only 26 years old, but he LIVED those 26 years. The amount of people that he touched in his short life inspired me to do the same. I set a personal goal to put more good into the world.

Summertime rolled around a few weeks later, and I found myself randomly attending my parents' church on Father's Day. It was a rough mass, as I found myself crying and praying for my 2 best friends that lost their dads this year. Through my tears, I relentlessly thanked God for my own family. (Sidenote - no embellishment needed, I have the BEST family anyone could ever ask for, hands down!) At the end of the mass, a small group of people stood up to speak about Haiti. There it was. There was my sign, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I couldn't even fathom ignoring this sign. I spoke to Shelly after mass, and was immediately on board.

I'd like to thank my inspirations - My family (Dad, Mom, Bill, and Em), Dustin D-Man Myers, Jon-Jon Spirko, and Mom-mom.
I'd also like to thank my encouragers and supporters - my incredibly generous friends, family members, students, and co-workers. It's much easier to do great things when you have great people behind you all the way.

So that's my story. I'm putting more good into the world. However and whenever it may be, I hope that our stories from Haiti inspire you to put some good into the world as well.

Always,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment