Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Reflection

I arrived home last night from my trip in Haiti. I'm usually not one to be open with my thoughts, but after coming home I had a flood of emotions piling on top of eachother, leaving me overwhelmed and thought I would give this a try..

I have always been interested in traveling and giving back, and saw this as a way to get my feet wet. I got involved in this trip through my mom who had gone a previous time (which I was mad she didn't invite me) so I made sure the next time she went I was right there with her. I knew little about Haiti before this, the only connection being a friend who's family passed in the earthquake. I tried to prepare myself for what I was getting myself into and what kind of conditions I would witness. No news report, story, picture, or video could ever portray the type of life the Haitains live.

When I think about the kids I met, I find it amazing that they smile because the only things they have and depond on are relationships and faith. At home we are so focused on materialistic, nonimportant things that we lose focus on what life is really about. Yes, I am blessed to have a roof over my head, opportunities, and a car to get me places, but is that really wealth? Haiti changed my opinion of what defines a good life. My life may be easier than theirs, but my life is not as near as rich as their faith in family and God. What kind of life would you rather live?

After being there I feel a sense of duty to give back to the less fortunate. I was never able to wrap my mind around what I had done to deserve a "privlaged" life, and some of the best people I've met have been down the roughest path. Through this experience, I've learned that everything has a reason and I have the tools to help the ones who can't help themselves.

My overall experience was touching, and I definetly plan on returning to Haiti to continue giving back. I'm so happy that we were lucky enough to have a great group, everyone really got along perfectly. I find it frustrating that even though I tell stories of what i saw to my friends, they will never fully understand the emotional experience, but the people i went with will and for that I am so grateful for.


- Kelsi

No comments:

Post a Comment