Saturday, July 17, 2010

Five days in Haiti . . . what an experience!! It’s amazing to me the range of emotions I have felt in such a short time. This country definitely contains a lot of beauty despite the devastation. It’s easy to see the awful effects the earthquake caused; collapsed buildings, communities of tents, roads and bridges badly damaged. It’s been my desire to also find the positive aspects that continue to exist; the absolute beauty of the mountainside and ocean, the Haitian people continuing to have faith as we see signs “Merci Jesus” and “God is good”. The gracious way in which the people accept the donations of clothes, toys and medical supplies we have bought.
In an effort not to go on and on, I’m going to bullet some of the things I have done or witnessed:
• Rode on the top of a cargo truck from Petit Goave to Port au Prince. To take in all there was to see, brought tears to my eyes. Definitely a top 10 experience of my life.
• Goat was served as part of the lunch the other day; I had to pass on that!! Rice and vegetables filled me up just fine that day.
• Seeing the sweetest smiles on the kids at the orphanage as we gave them clothes and toys. They sang a song for us when we arrived (in French).
• Watching a little Haitian girl fall asleep in Lindsay’s arms as she held her.
• One of the Haitian girls (about 16 years old) trying to teach me some Creole. I was not pronouncing it well at all, it was pretty funny!
• I talked our interpreter into walking about a half mile to buy us 2 pizzas for us (which cost $20.00 each), and he came back and said the restaurant doesn’t have any pizza today.
• This group that I am here with has been nothing short of great in the way each member gives of themselves to others, has shown flexibility, and has stepped up to the plate every time when needed.
This is a time I will never forget, and am thankful to God and Shelly for providing it.
Blessings,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment